Friday, June 6, 2008

Day 6 - Even the poor are to give to God from what they have

Deut 16:16 No man should appear before the LORD empty-handed.
1 Kings 17:10-15 When (Elijah) came to the town gate, a widow was there gathering sticks. He called to her and asked, "Would you bring me a little water in a jar so I may have a drink?" As she was going to get it, he called, "And bring me, please, a piece of bread." "As surely as the LORD your God lives," she replied, "I don't have any bread-only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. I am gathering a few sticks to take home and make a meal for myself and my son, that we may eat it-and die." Elijah said to her, "Don't be afraid. Go home and do as you have said. But first make a small cake of bread for me from what you have and bring it to me, and then make something for yourself and your son. For this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the LORD gives rain.'" She went away and did as Elijah had told her. There was food every day for Elijah and for the woman and her family.

Gen 28:20-22 (While a single young man with no job or income) Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me and will watch over me… then the LORD will be my God…and of all that you (O God) give me I will give you a tenth."


2 Cor 8:2-4 Though (the Macedonian Christians) have been going through much trouble and hard times, they have mixed their wonderful joy with their deep poverty, and the result has been an overflow of giving to others. They gave not only what they could afford but far more; and I can testify that they did it because they wanted to…They begged us to take the money so they could share in the joy of helping the Christians in Jerusalem.

When it comes to giving, some people stop at nothing.If a pauper gives to God, he’ll feel like a prince. If a prince doesn’t give to God, he’ll feel like a pauper.

No comments: